So I always do battle with myself before I go to my IMPROV class, it's a battle over fear, anxiety and attitude. But after I change my attitude, I am ready for the class. So we started off doing the regular exercises and did the singing game like we did last week. Although the energy wasn't there like it was last week. Joel said it was the most 'mellow' he had ever saw that singing game. Probably because last night was a big party night, even Joel had a slight voice problem, he said he was filming last night and that's how his voice was shot.
Anyway, we took a break, and when we got back, the class seemed to be 'ON' so that was good! We did a new exercise called the Chameleon (like the lizard) and we got into a circle and one person in the center. Then one of us goes up to him and does a character and the guy in the center has to improvise the scene and match 100% the way the person acting towards you is doing. So If I went up to that center guy and acted like 'The God Father' he had to replicate my acting but keep the conversation going back and forth for about 4 lines each, till the guy who went up to him gets tapped out by another who pretends she won the lottery and now center guy is jumping all over screaming till another tap out and now it's a child crying over losing her doll, now center guy had to copy that but make more lines to keep it going. After center guy does that for 4 times, Joel will make one of the students who came up to center dude and now he or she becomes the center person.. So always both center person and regular person are acting the same character together, no matter how crazy or outlandish!
That was a blast because these students really knew how to mess with you and make you have range from a crying baby to a star from a wild west movie so it was awesome!
Next we had 2 person scenes that again, we had to establish who we were in relation to each other and where we were. It starts from a single word called out by the audience only you had to be the character from an earlier exercise. Mine has the father of an ex-girlfriend, he was Italian from Brooklyn (an old goom-bah), he was old and had part of his vocal chords removed and was half deaf (in real life)! So I really nailed his whole sound and persona and got LOTS of laughs with that one! After, Joel critiques the skit, he used the phrase "That was VERY FUNNY" and "loved that!".. So I was in the ZONE!
I learned a lot, instead of using 'one liners', just bring life to the scene as best as you can and the laughs come automatically.. If you focus on making jokes for laughs, you will ruin the scene and may not get laughs at all.. So now I forget about the audience sitting down in from of me while I'm on stage and I just bring life to my character and the scene as a whole and go with whatever my partner says and go with it! So I definitely grew bolder today as well as others in the class did.
Anyway, I'm left knowing I'm getting better and funnier in this class, and feeling more free to do more outlandish things in front of people and having it be a good thing! Laughter is music to my ears and I got lots of that today.. Now to see one more show at the UCB theater to fill my homework obligation. I did hear a quick blurb about the show we have to put on to graduate from this class from 101 to 201. But I will not think about it till those days arrive. Now I keep hearing in my head "Take a scene study class after this". And my answer is, YES I WILL!
OH, earlier we had a character development exercise and we had to walk around and got advice from Joel as we all walked around each other and at a certain moment he said 'STOP' and we had to have a conversation with whoever was next to us in 'the character', I was 'Elf' from the movie Elf with Will Ferrell, Oh it was so good, not only did I see that movie (I forget I may like it more that Nightmare Before Christmas)20 times, I really nailed 'Elf', I did it with a young woman that happens to be from my building! (Can't wait to see her in the elevator this week! LOL) I was like "someone needs a hug!" Hah.., Oh, and I did the bit where I describe how I went through the "sea of swirly twirly gumdrops and went through the Lincoln Tunnel" Ahhhh, that was great... LOL! I also mentioned the elf's major food groups, sugar, candy, candy canes, candy corns, and more sugar!.. Until next Sundays IMPROV class!!
I hope you all enjoyed my second blog!!
Peace Out Home Dogs!
Rob Redstone
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment